Canal Water Review

"To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing." Hypatia "Yeah. That pretty much sucks canal water." cwr

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Takin' on the Hammer

The down and dirty politics of redistricting got a bit dirtier in Texas last year. While the rest of the country made jokes about it, many of us were quite proud of the Texas House Democrats who shut down the Legislature by de-camping for Ardmore, OK. We were just as proud when the Texas Senate Democrats headed for Albuquerque, NM, and shut down a special called session. In the end, we still wound up with some seriously gerrymandered districts and the potential loss of some fine members of Congress, thanks in very large part to the heavy interference of Congressman Tom Delay, the U. S. House Majority Whip.

For all the silly arguments that Mr. Delay made regarding the need to redistrict, the whole exercise was just another grab at more power. Texas had already been redistricted, as is required after the national census. After 30 years of living in Travis County and being represented by a Democratic state senator, I was shifted to a new state senate district and had to be represented by a Republican. I did not like this. I was already used to the back and forth on my state house district, since we live in a precinct that regularly gets shifted during redistricting. It was nice to have a Democratic voice speaking for me in the Texas House for the ten years between censuses, but I've had to cope with a Republican Representive before, so it wasn't that much of a shock. I was, however, really unhappy to realize that our precinct had been shifted over to a Republican district for the congressional seat. Lloyd Doggett has been my Congressman for several years. I was comfortable with him. No, really damned proud of him. So I was not pleased to be shifted over to a district represented by a conservative Republican.

Still, I accepted those changes as being part of the sausage-making that goes on with redistricting and comforted myself that, at least, Congressman Doggett would still be fighting the good fight for Texans, that my values would still be represented in Congress.

Then along comes the Hammer to try to silence that voice. Nothing would stop him it seemed. And there were, of course, many Republicans in and around state government who went out of their way to help him do it.

Happily, we still have a man of courage in our local district attorney, Ronnie Earle. He has decided to follow the money, and there was a lot of it. As he begins to make the case that corporate funds were illegally used to influence Texas' general election, there is some possibility that even Mr. Delay may face some legal battles in the coming months.

Here are a couple of recent stories:

Citizens group wants outsider to referee election dispute

GOP lobbyist led 2002 election ad campaign

In more good news, it appears that Mr. Delay may, in fact be vulnerable in the next election. Richard Morrison, a SugarLand attorney, is running a strong campaign to unseat the increasingly unpopular incumbent. You can check out his campaign web site at http://www.richardmorrisonfordistrict22.com

There's also a new weblog (that may be related to Morrison's campaign) called
Taking on Tom Delay.

Finally, The Free State Standard has expanded its focus from just one Texas county to cover all 254! Vince Liebowitz seems also to be tracking some the stories on the redistricting and campaign finance issues as they play out in the courts.

5 Comments:

At 5/21/2004 2:22 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Thanks for reading and for the kind words. I have read your web log from start to finish and while I am at opposite ends of the political spectrum, I enjoy your way with words and your convictions. You obviously have a deep knowledge of the workings (and all too often the non-workings) of Texas government. Not to start a fight, but I personally thought the Texas Democrats leaving the state was irresponsible and childish. Anyway, thanks again for reading and commenting...would it be okay to put a link to your web log on my site? Assuming of course I can figure out how. Have a great weekend and adios.

 
At 5/21/2004 12:07 PM, Blogger Carolyn A. Parker said...

Jack,

Wow! Now you make ME blush! Thanks for the comment--and yes, a link would be fine, if you can figure out how to do it. I have no clue, or else I would be linking to Texas Music forthwith. Maybe we can learn together.

In the meantime, I'll have to tell you that "opposite ends of the political spectrum" is something that I have been pondering for some time. I expect to write more on the subject later, because the division in our country really bothers me. For now, at least, just know that, while I am pretty partisan, I do respect those same core values that we all hold dear as Americans. I also know something of the history of political parties in this country. While I don't have much fondness for where the Republican Party has headed in the past few years, there are some sad times hidden in the Democratic Party's closet.

As for the Killer D's--yeah, I know that there are differences of opinion on their tactic for breaking the quorum in the House. I think that was pretty much all they had left to work with, given how badly they were outnumbered and out-maneuvered. The real issue may be whether revisiting re-districting was the right thing to do. And, again, there are differences of opinion on that. For myself, I wish there were some way to take the parties out of the redistricting process altogether. I know that's naive, but neither party holds up well to close inspection on how fairly they do the job. In the end, the voters are the losers, because it's our choices that are limited.

But that's a rant for another day.

Stay safe--and get more rest, for garden seed!

 
At 5/22/2004 1:54 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Thanks. I'll put your link up on mine in a second. I'll either call it Canal Water or the Texas Liberal. (smiles) I just figured it out, so let me TRY and talk you through it...not to get you to link me, but because I like showing off my new tricks.
When you go to your Blogger Dashboard, click on Change Settings, the blue gear.
Click on Template at the top. The screen will fill with gobbledegook. I'm told this is called "code" and smart people understand it.
Scroll down slowly about half way. You will see, amid all the junk, something that says "add things to your sidebar here".
Below that youll see links, and then youll see this:
<>Edit-Me<>
there will be a lower case li between those first and last <>. The comment thing wont let me put them in because it will create a real link.
That mess is what you will change up to add a link.
Okay, see the first set of quotations marks? You will carefully erase the EDITME!, and write in whatever site you want to link to. For example, put your cursor by the ! and back it up, wiping out the EDITME, leaving the http:// part. Type in the address you want. Not a hint, but mine would be operationmoonpie,blogspot.com
Thats where people will be sent when they click on the link.
Then, go to the second Edit-Me. Erase that too. You can write in anything you want. That is what will show up on your sidebar. If you linked my blog, and wanted to call it Texas Narc, that's what you would type.
Then, you hit Save Template Changes.
And that's it, your'e done!
Good luck and adios!

 
At 5/22/2004 2:07 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Okay this stupid thing...nothing is ever easy. I cannot even write an example of what you will see because the computer recognizes it as code and makes it into a link to nowhere...which you know if you clicked on that blue "editme".
However...all you need to do it earse the words edit me. The first set are all caps with an exclamation point after it. Erase it and type in the web address. The second Looks like this "Edit-Me". Erase it and type in what you want to call the link.
You have links all through your post, something I want to do but don't know how...but since I now know how to do sidebar links, I think I'll figure it out. Have a great weekend.
Adios!

 
At 5/22/2004 3:09 AM, Blogger Carolyn A. Parker said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Jack. I had already been studying all the hints that folks are giving you over at Texas Music, but your comments are even clearer (you're talkin' my language!). The bad news is that my template doesn't have that handy little section with all the EDIT ME! parts. The good news is that I found the section where I think the EDIT ME! parts should have been inserted. I have copied the template code to a text file so I can print it out and study it in more detail. I'm thinking I might try to insert a section that says what you're telling me should be there and see what comes up. Watch this space for total disaster!

I'll run over to your blog to tell you all I know about links. Fortunately, I don't have to know much to be able to do those!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home