Canal Water Review

"To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing." Hypatia "Yeah. That pretty much sucks canal water." cwr

Sunday, February 13, 2005

"Canal Water Approved" sites

I've updated my blogroll a bit. I visit these sites fairly regularly.

Altercation is a professional site done by Eric Alterman over at MSNBC. I, of course, like the liberal take on things and enjoy his writing style. Alterman spends a bit too much time promoting his books for my taste, and I'm not much interested in his take on music, but he otherwise hits the high points of current issues really well.

Burnt Orange Report focuses on the Democratic party and its politics, some state level issues, and some national issues. While BOR has been on my blogroll for some time, they've recently opened up their group of posters, now including Vince Leibowitz. Leibowitz' enthusiasm and activism are inspirational--and quite charming. I do believe I love that man.

Eschaton is another "veteran" of my blogroll. I check Atrios' comments daily, if not more so. While his style is not always easy, his knowledge is helpful to those of us who have no clue, especially in matters economic. I look to Atrios to point me to the "sore points" in our nation's psyche.

Texas Music is out of alphabetical order. Must fix that someday. "My" Jack is so unreconstructed, so unrepentant, so politically incorrect--at times--but he is, I believe, a man of dedication and commitment, not to mention honor. I don't always agree with him, but I love his writing and would be proud to adopt him as another son. Mama would harangue him about the ACLU thing if she weren't more concerned that the boy just stay safe.

I go to the newsmap two or three times a week to see what's going on. The map gives me a sense of what the major stories are; often I find something that I have missed while perusing blogs and my home news page. (Hmm, how else would I know the the Christian Science Monitor is suggesting that the solution to the SS crisis is to do nothing? The rationale is that economic projections 75 years out are just so much guesswork. And there are 731 "related articles" on this subject, making it a semi-large story.)

Off the Kuff is a new addition to the blogroll, but not to my list of "must sees." I check Charles Kuffner's entries more than once a day, since he often updates throughout the day. Kuffner is good for Texas issues with emphasis on Houston, although he doesn't mind weighing in on national issues when the mood strikes.

I hesitated about including the Panhandle Truth Squad, since I only check in with them once in a while. They focus quite heavily on the Amarillo Globe News and its many sins, but their forays into state and national politics can be quite interesting. I should check them out more often, I think.

The People's Republic of Seabrook has long been a favorite of mine, especially for its quirky take on news and politics. Even if you can't agree with Jack Cluth's politics (and I generally do), you have to love his frequent mailto:Dumb@$$ Hmmm, maybe I'm not so happy after all. Jack appears to have taken over my computer: Every time I type Dumb@$$ the computer insists on inserting a "mailto" link. Bad Jack!

On the other hand, I would just have to love anyone who would make this her blog's catchphrase:

I'm a psychologist working in HIV research and treatment in the inner city. Don't talk to me about "compassionate conservatism."

I check Respectful of Otters comparatively infrequently, but the posts are comparatively infrequent (the most recent appears to be from December). Even so, the posts are insightful, well-researched, and well worth the wait.

My final addition today is Talking Points Memo. I first found Josh Marshall when he blogged about Tom Delay's intervention in Texas redistricting. I have been reading him multiple times daily ever since then. While Josh occasionally becomes obsessive about a single issue (as he is now about Social Security), his insight into Washington is beautiful to behold. And those obsessions often make a difference. When Josh Marshall is pissed, people do seem to listen.

I could add more, but it's time to get back to fighting off alligators.

2 Comments:

At 2/14/2005 1:00 AM, Blogger Jack said...

I'll check them out.

Oh, and moi? Politically incorrect? Surely you jest. Actually, I reject political correctness, so thanks for the compliment. And thanks for still reading me.

 
At 3/08/2005 4:12 PM, Blogger Carolyn A. Parker said...

Jack #1--Political correctness may well be another name for intolerance and/or hypocrisy anyway. It was sloppy of me to use that label, even tongue-in-cheek. I'm still catching up on email and blogs and such--life is just a little too rich these days--but I'm still expecting you to stay safe, hon.

Jack #2, I have corrected your last name (I hope). Sorry for that. It's what happens when I try to depend on my memory. And it's not a trivial concern; it's who we are. :)

As for Blogger's comment system, well, I agree. It's not impossible, and it could be worse . . . like when Haloscan cuts off my comment . . . but it really could be ever so much easier for dummies like me.

And the link! Wow! "Heirs to the Throne." Not that I checked or anything. But, geegollywillikers, thanks! (Reminding self not to be a Dumba$$.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home