Canal Water Review

"To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing." Hypatia "Yeah. That pretty much sucks canal water." cwr

Monday, June 07, 2004

Tenet's "Resignation"

The Panhandle Truth Squad cites the Capitol Hill Blue report on President Bush's "erratic behavior." Buried in the story is a case-in-point nugget about the firing of George Tenet:
"Tenet wanted to quit last year but the President got his back up and wouldn't hear of it," says an aide. "That would have been the opportune time to make a change, not in the middle of an election campaign but when the director challenged the President during the meeting Wednesday, the President cut him off by saying 'that's it George. I cannot abide disloyalty. I want your resignation and I want it now."

Tenet was allowed to resign "voluntarily" and Bush informed his shocked staff of the decision Thursday morning. One aide says the President actually described the decision as "God's will."
In a related story, Capitol Hill Blue reports the facility with which the President handled the matter before the press:
The news caught Washington by surprise. Bush informed his senior staff Thursday morning at an Oval Office meeting that included Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser. The president told his staff that the official story is that Tenet was leaving for personal reasons.

"He told me he was resigning for personal reasons. I told him I'm sorry he's leaving. He's done a superb job on behalf of the American people," the president said at a hurriedly arranged announcement before boarding a helicopter to begin a trip to Europe. Inside the West Wing, staffers joked about the President's ability to keep a straight face during the televised announcement.
Anonymous sources seem to be all we're gonna get for a while, but this seems to fit the general range of discussions I've seen, i.e, that the "resignation" was likely not entirely a Tenet's unilateral decision and that was likely not for his personal reasons. If it did come down to a snap judgement about "disloyalty," then there's no surprise that the White House needed an "official story." The truth would have been an embarassment.

3 Comments:

At 6/14/2004 3:08 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Yeah, I kinda thought it was a little too 'out of the blue' to be a real resignation. I would take any tales of "Your'e disloyal" with a couple of grains of salt, though. BTW, Ichanged the URL to my blog. jackstexasmusic.blogspot.com. Adios

 
At 6/14/2004 4:46 PM, Blogger Carolyn A. Parker said...

Welcome home! Your mosquito bites remind of a time on an island far far away. Perhaps I'll blog it someday.

The moonpie URL still works, but I will try to get the change made in a bit. I have more confidence working on an engine than the template for this blog (and my only real engine experience was with a VW beetle--sparkplugs, points, oil OK, condenser not OK--20 some years ago).

As for Tenet's resignation, there are lots of theories. I was drawn to the CHB story because I'm nervous about the Dude-in-Chief. I genuinely do not wish him ill; I am just horrified at some of the things he does. The loyalty thing may or may not be true, but either CHB's folks are writing fiction or they have some very interesting sources. Maybe we'll live long enough to find out an approximation of the truth.

 
At 6/14/2004 7:49 PM, Blogger Jack said...

how did i know you drove a beetle?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home