Canal Water Review

"To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing." Hypatia "Yeah. That pretty much sucks canal water." cwr

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Lend me your uterus!

I have been avoiding thinking about all the anti-choice bills that have been filed in the Texas Legislature this session. It just seems too painful to put myself through the, well, pain of seeing the proposals, listening to the arguments, and thinking about the consequences of all this misguided claptrap that calls itself the Culture of Life and has nothing to do with life at all.

Avoidance is, however, impossible. As I wander through various of my more or less favorite blog sites, the screams of agony just get louder and louder.

Since I am still in my Indiana Jones mood (forget the bullwhip, gimme the gun), here's my thought:

We know that a hysterectomy is the second most frequently performed surgery for women in the U.S. There are 600,000+ hysterectomies performed in the U.S. each year. That's 1.2 million uteruses that could have been donated to deserving pro-life policymakers to help them do their own part to generate and, of course, protect more unborn lives.

So this is what I'm thinking. Maybe we should set up a non-profit Foundation for the Promotion of Self-Reliance in Protecting the Unborn. Then anyone who has a hysterectomy can donate her uterus (the ovaries would be helpful, too, but they are not necessary because we could also take in donated embryos from fertility clinics) to the Foundation. The Foundation, in turn, would select deserving policy-makers to receive their very own uterus so they can stop spending their time on trying to control everyone else's uterus and get busy making their own little unborn life to worship.

I would like to nominate Representative Will Harnett to receive the first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home