Canal Water Review

"To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing." Hypatia "Yeah. That pretty much sucks canal water." cwr

Friday, July 30, 2004

High Value Coincidence

Coincidences come in all kinds of ways. My favorite tough guy who makes Texas Music (and my audience of one) :) does an "I-haven't-read-it-yet-but-I-know-what-I-think review of the 9/11 Commission Report, and I agree with a lot of what he has to say, but his blog eats my response. By coincidence, a lot of what I have to say has to do with just a little of what he has to say (which is not unusual), but refers to my own personal experience twenty-years-removed with two of the sites attacked by Al Qaeda on its way to 9/11. So I do some fast right-clicking and save what I have to say so I can post it here and, just to be the curious person that I am, do some extra googling before I get around to actually making the post. Here's what I found.


Yahoo! News - Pakistan Says Captures 'Most Wanted' Qaeda Man

By Zeeshan Haider

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, said to be a top al Qaeda operative and one of the world's most wanted men, was in custody in Pakistan on Friday for his suspected role in the 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa.

Ghailani and 13 others were seized after a 14-hour gun battle with security forces at the weekend in the city of Gujarat, about 110 miles southeast of the capital Islamabad, Pakistan Interior Minister Faisal Saleh Hayat said.

The United States had offered a reward of $25 million for the Tanzanian national's capture, the same as for al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) and 19 others on the FBI (news - web sites)'s Most Wanted Terrorist List.

Ghailani is probably the most senior al Qaeda operative caught in Pakistan since the arrest in March 2003 of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the suspected mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States.

In Washington, a U.S. official confirmed Ghailani's arrest. "He is wanted for the death of Americans," the official said on condition of anonymity.

Ghailani, who is in his early 30s and goes by the nicknames "Foopie" and "Ahmed the Tanzanian," was indicted in New York in 1998 for the synchronized blasts that blew up the U.S. embassies in Nairobi and Tanzania, killing 224 people.

Washington blamed al Qaeda for the devastating bombings and carried out a missile attack on Afghan military training camps run by bin Laden shortly afterwards. Bin Laden escaped unhurt.

Four al Qaeda supporters were sentenced to life in prison in October 2001 by a Manhattan federal judge for the bombings. The FBI and the Manhattan U.S. Attorney's office had no immediate comment on Ghailani's arrest.

Hayat said Pakistani security forces had been acting on a tip-off when they raided a suspected militant hideout in Gujarat. One policeman was slightly injured in the gunbattle, he added.

Hayat said Ghailani, his Uzbek wife and up to eight other foreigners, including two South Africans, were among those arrested.

NO EXTRADITION REQUEST YET

The minister said Pakistan had not yet received a request from the United States for his extradition.

"He has been in Pakistan for some time. We have to establish the exact nature of his activities and scope of his network in Pakistan. Only after we have exhausted our inquiries shall we be able to hand him over ... to the U.S.," he said.

"It is a big achievement for our security forces," he added.

U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage praised Pakistan's pursuit of al Qaeda-linked fighters during a visit to Islamabad earlier this month.

U.S. officials suspect bin Laden and his deputy Ayman al-Zawahri and other al Qaeda supporters are hiding somewhere in rugged tribal areas along the Afghan border and have put pressure on Pakistan to pursue foreign militants in the lawless region.

Up to 600 fighters, including Arabs, Chechens and Uzbeks, are believed to be in the tribal belt, many of them sheltered by tribesmen who have also been involved in fierce clashes with Pakistani troops this year.

Pakistani forces launched two major operations this year in the region after President Pervez Musharraf vowed to clear the country of foreign militants accused of attacks in Pakistan, including two attempts on his life in December, and strikes on U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan (news - web sites).

Pakistan says it has arrested hundreds of al Qaeda fighters and handed them over to the United States since it joined the U.S.-led war on terror in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks. (Additional reporting by Tabassum Zakaria in Washington)

Why is this a coincidence? Here's what I wanted to post for a reply to Jack's "review":


Just a little liberal sweet talk, Jack. I decided not to read more than a few of the other comments, since I'm short on time, but did want to shock you with my almost total agreement with your post. You expressed yourself quite clearly and very well yet again.

But, here's a couple of thoughts to give you some added perplexity. I have walked through the doors of both of the embassies that we lost in East Africa. Those embassies were guarded by some fine young (really, startlingly young) Marines. I drank their beer in Dar es Salaam. Although my residence in those cities was some years before those attacks and although I cannot say that I know anyone personally who was killed there, I can certainly tell you--and my fellow Americans--that everyone who died there was a human being, worthy of our grief and concern for their lose in such tragic circumstances. I say this not to place you on the defensive. I understand your ironic tone in referring to these deaths. But I want to reemphasize that American lives were indeed the targets of the bombs--and that real human lives
were lost.

I could babble on about that, but your stronger point is that the government is not our baby sitter. It's our servant. I agree. We might disagree on just exactly what we want our servant to be doing , but-no space . . .

Well, I did run out of space, and I don't want to talk about that now. I want to talk about Ghailani, Dar es Salaam, and coincidences.

Last things first: There is was a report some weeks ago in The New Republic that the Bush administration was putting pressure on the Pakistani government to produce a "high value" al Qaeda target, preferably Osama bin Laden, during the Democratic Convention. Here's the link. Several blogs, including The Agonist, Talking Points Memo, and quite a few others noted the article then, which is when I picked up on it. Today, they and others speculate about the "coincidence" of a capture that occurred on Sunday but was only announced on the day that John Kerry was due to give his acceptance speech at the Democratic Convention, i.e., during the targeted time frame.

I noticed the "coincidence" myself. I was also curious to see whether there would be any major tide of news coverage that would overshadow Kerry's speech and the convention because of this arrest. There were some stories, but this afternoon's newsmap showed what seems to be happening. Nada. Zip.

Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence. And sometimes it flops. Whatever.

I honestly cannot say whether it would have changed things for me if the "high value" target that had been captured had been Osama bin Laden or Mullah Omar or any of the others. I'll be glad when they are out circulation whenever they are out of circulation. I wish we had been harder on their trails before now.

But, after making sure that I took the time to watch Kerry' speech and then reading analysis and commentary for several hours afterwards (I love the stuff), Ghailani was still on my mind. Even if there is not much press coverage, even if he is not "high value" enough for everyone else to realize his worth, he is very "high value" to me.

I guess this is getting too long. I'll post it and then struggle to make my point in a second post.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home